Week 3 Assignment
Week 3 Assignment
Please no plagiarism and make sure you are able to access all resource on your own before you bid. One of the references must come from Sue, D. W., & Sue, D. (2016). You are expected to include at least one scholarly and peer-reviewed resource outside of those provided in the readings for each discussion post. I need this completed by 03/17/18 at 5pm.
Application Assignment: Cultural Competency Guidelines
The Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD) has provided a Multicultural Counseling Competencies document. Culturally competent counselors regularly review these guidelines to ensure that they are engaging in culturally competent and ethical counseling practices.
Each theory, model, and construct used in multicultural counseling discusses one or more aspects of culture. Culturally competent counselors strive to apply these theories to their work with clients. This week’s application illustrates the application of these theories, models, and constructs to gain insight into the influence they have on counseling work.
For this Application assignment, read the assigned chapters in Sue and Sue’s text (2016). Reread the chapter that best matches your own cultural, racial, or ethnic identity. Decide which theory, model or construct is the closest match to your cultural, racial, or ethnic identity experiences. Then, follow all of the directions below to complete this assignment.
In a 2- to 3-page paper:
· Describe the theory, model, or construct you applied to yourself.
· Then explain the insights you have gained about your own cultural, racial, or ethnic identity by applying that theory, model, or construct.
· Finally, explain how one of the insights you shared in the previous section could impact a counseling relationship/session.
· Reminder: you are applying a racial identity model or racial identity theory or racial identity construct to yourself.
· Sue, D. W., & Sue, D. (2016). Counseling the culturally diverse: Theory and practice (7th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
o Chapter 5, “The Impact of Systemic Oppression: Counselor Credibility and Client Worldviews” (pp. 145-178)
o Chapter 11, “Racial/Cultural Identity Development in People of Color: Counseling Implications” (pp. 355-388)
o Chapter 12, “White Racial Identity Development: Therapeutic Implications” (pp. 389-420)
· AMCD multicultural counseling competences. (1996). Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/Resources/Competencies/Multcultural_Competencies.pdf
· Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Competencies. (2015). Retrieved October 27, 2015, from http://www.counseling.org/docs/default-source/competencies/multicultural-and-social-justice-counseling-competencies.pdf?sfvrsn=20
· McIntosh, P. (1990). White privilege: Unpacking the invisible knapsack. Independent School, 49(2), 31–35.