Topic: Higher Education and Law Case Study 1
Lewis v. St. Cloud University 693 N.W.2d 466 (Minn. Ct. App. 2005)
Nova Southeastern University, Inc. v. Gross 758 So. 2d 86 (Fla. 2000)
Write a 850-1050-word paper in which you address all of the following questions for the cases:
Lewis v. St. Cloud University
1. The court cites the seminal case of Mazart v. State of New York, which is discussed on pp. 702-7-3 of the Student Version. How does the court’s analysis in Lewis compare with Mazart?
2. Given the outcome in Lewis, how would you recommend that colleges and universities structure their relationship, if any, with the student newspaper? Would the fact that a student newspaper has a faculty advisor be more likely to suggest that the institution has some control, and thus potential liability, for the acts of student editors and journalists?
Nova Southeastern University, Inc. v. Gross
1. What is the institution’s legal duty with respect to a student for whom it arranges an off-campus internship or practicum?
2. If the institution required the student to arrange her own internship or practicum, what would the institution’s legal duty be?
3. Is there any other way, in addition to warning students about any known dangers, that the institution could protect itself from liability (for example, having the student sign a waiver)?
4. If the internship were a noncredit activity that was recommended but not required by the institution, would this change the legal standard of duty?
5. Change the facts and assume that the plaintiff is a nonstudent who was injured by the actions of a student working in a required internship (for example, a student injured by the actions of a student teacher). What institutional liability, if any, might attach?
For a thoughtful analysis of the “special relationship” doctrine, see Webb v. the University of Utah, 125 P.3d 906 (Utah 2005), in which the court rejected the plaintiff’s assertion that being required during a field trip to walk on an icy sidewalk by a faculty member, with an ensuing fall and injury, created a “special relationship” such that the institution was liable for his injury. The court concluded:
It is certainly possible that a directive inducing detrimental reliance may be one that creates an unreasonable risk of harm to the people expected to follow it. Viewed objectively, we conclude that the directive to occupy and traverse the condominium sidewalk does not meet this standard. We reach this conclusion for several reasons. First, the directive given Mr. Webb’s class did not relate directly to the academic enterprise of the class. By this we mean that it is not reasonable to believe that any student would understand that his academic success, measured either by the degree of knowledge acquired or by the positive impression made on the instructor, turned on whether they abandoned all internal signals of peril to take a particular potentially hazardous route to view fault lines. . . . [T]he directive’s tangential relationship to the field trip’s academic mission leaves us with the firm conviction that it would not be reasonable for a student to rely on it. The instructor did not, therefore, exert the control which might be present in an academic setting to create a special relationship. 125 P.3d at 913.
2 cases study’s are attached. Writer will need to obtain Webb v. the University of Utah, 125 P.3d 906 (Utah 2005)
You may use the Case Brief Analysis Template attached as a guide to analyze the cases.
We value our customers, and so ensure that our papers are 100 percent original. Our Team of professionals does not miss the mark; they ensure that step by step each paper is written uniquely. We never duplicate or work as we compare papers rest assured. We deliver our work a day before time to ensure that you don’t miss your deadlines. It is not only doing the work but delivering it at the right time. We capture the consequences of late remittances. .
We value customer satisfaction here at popularessaywriters.com and make sure that you get the best value for your Money. It happens that sometimes you can pay twice for your order or may want to cancel it, or you feel that it doesn’t meet your requirements; our money back guarantee will give you the opportunity to get back your money. We will also refund 100% of money paid double. In case your paper does not satisfy your requirements , we request that you notify us via writing within 2 days otherwise on the third day we will assume that you have been satisfied. Do all your correspondences through our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.Read more
At popularessaywriters.com, our professional writers know the consequence plagiarism does for our clients. We have updated software’s such as article checker and copyscape to check for originality of the custom papers before submission of the final paper to the you. Our guarantee to the customer is that we will write 100% original papers for them that are quality, timely and of low cost. We have experienced professional and competent PhD writers who will write quality custom papers for you..Read more
. At popularessaywriters.com, we are proud to provide top-quality Essay writing service to our esteemed customers. We are ready to take up that challenging academic assignment that is giving you sleepless nights and simplify it for you according to your desired requirements. We are willing to revise your paper if it does not meet your requirements. At popularessaywriters.com, we do not compromise with quality; thus, we offer unlimited free revisions until the customer is satisfied with their custom paper. Our unlimited free revision services are provided under the following terms:.. .Read more
Popularessawriters.com knows that client’s information is an essential tool for our company. It means that whatever the client requests from our service is kept strictly confidential. It means that whoever writes for this company understands the terms and conditions hence you should not be worried because you will never see your work somewhere else...Read more
Rest assured that we will always be attentive to your needs and requirements. We belief in the phrase treat your neighbour as you would want them to treat you. We leave nothing to chance and always look forward to a good interaction with each other.. .Read more