Question: Art 258 Enforcement
• Article 258 (ex Article 226 TEC) identifies why enforcement of European Union law is necessary. It provides that if the Commission considers that a Member State has failed to fulfil an obligation under the Treaties, it shall deliver a reasoned opinion on the matter after giving the State concerned the opportunity to submit its observations.
• If the State concerned does not comply with the opinion within the period laid down by the Commission, the latter may bring the matter before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
• The wording provides the Commission with discretion whether to take a breach by a member State to the ECJ based on time for settlement negotiations.
• Also if breach minor may be appropriate not to move to next stage.
• The discretion enables account to be taken of political considerations.
• The enforcement process consists of few stages.
• Step (1) Informal discussions. The Commission asks the Member State to respond within a specified period and aims to conclude the stage within a year. The dispute is usually resolved by the Member State making the appropriate changes or by persuading the Commission that there is no breach.
• Step 2 Letter of Formal Notice for example, Commission v Italy Involved an alleged breach by Italy in failing to pay export rebates to its farmers. The letter of formal notice alleged breaches up to 1967 but failed to mention later breaches. When the matter came before the ECJ, it refused to consider the later alleged breaches.
• Step (3) reasoned opinion. This is a coherent statement of reasoning that explains why the Member State is at fault. It establishes the legal arguments against the State and must be as reasoned as possible. The Commission cannot add further grounds later. This stage provides a period of grace for the Member State, usually two months, however in urgent cases two weeks may be acceptable (Commission v Belgium  ECR 1149). For example, Commission v Ireland  ECR 314.
• Step (4) Case referred to the ECJ. The discretion of the Commission should be considered here. The Commission can bring an action any time after the time limit in the reasoned opinion has expired. For example, Commission v Germany  ECR 2039. A delay of 2 years after the time limit expired did not render the action inadmissible.
• If the Court of Justice of the European Union finds that a Member State has failed to fulfil an obligation under the Treaties, the State shall be required to take the necessary measures to comply with the judgment of the Court. As provided by Article 260 (ex Article 228 TEC)
• If the Commission considers that the Member State concerned has not taken the necessary measures to comply with the judgment of the Court, it may bring the case before the Court after giving that State the opportunity to submit its observations. It shall specify the amount of the lump sum or penalty payment to be paid by the Member State concerned which it considers appropriate in the circumstances. If the Court finds that the Member State concerned has not complied with its judgment it may impose a lump sum or penalty payment on it
• For example, in the Commission v France Case C-304/02, France was ordered to pay lump sum fine of EUR 20m and a fine of EUR 57,761,250 for each 6 months the breach continued after July 2005. France had failed to comply With EU measures for fisheries conservation – it allowed undersized fish to be offered for sale. In the end France paid a total of EUR 77,761,250!
• Also potential defences should be addressed:
• Legislative difficulties- For example, Commission v Italy (1982)
• Necessity, for example Commission v Italy (Re Ban on Pork Imports).
• Change in practice, for example Commission v France (Re French Merchant Seamen).
• Force Majeure, for example Commission v Italy (case 7/61).
We value our customers, and so ensure that our papers are 100 percent original. Our Team of professionals does not miss the mark; they ensure that step by step each paper is written uniquely. We never duplicate or work as we compare papers rest assured. We deliver our work a day before time to ensure that you don’t miss your deadlines. It is not only doing the work but delivering it at the right time. We capture the consequences of late remittances. .
We value customer satisfaction here at popularessaywriters.com and make sure that you get the best value for your Money. It happens that sometimes you can pay twice for your order or may want to cancel it, or you feel that it doesn’t meet your requirements; our money back guarantee will give you the opportunity to get back your money. We will also refund 100% of money paid double. In case your paper does not satisfy your requirements , we request that you notify us via writing within 2 days otherwise on the third day we will assume that you have been satisfied. Do all your correspondences through our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.Read more
At popularessaywriters.com, our professional writers know the consequence plagiarism does for our clients. We have updated software’s such as article checker and copyscape to check for originality of the custom papers before submission of the final paper to the you. Our guarantee to the customer is that we will write 100% original papers for them that are quality, timely and of low cost. We have experienced professional and competent PhD writers who will write quality custom papers for you..Read more
. At popularessaywriters.com, we are proud to provide top-quality Essay writing service to our esteemed customers. We are ready to take up that challenging academic assignment that is giving you sleepless nights and simplify it for you according to your desired requirements. We are willing to revise your paper if it does not meet your requirements. At popularessaywriters.com, we do not compromise with quality; thus, we offer unlimited free revisions until the customer is satisfied with their custom paper. Our unlimited free revision services are provided under the following terms:.. .Read more
Popularessawriters.com knows that client’s information is an essential tool for our company. It means that whatever the client requests from our service is kept strictly confidential. It means that whoever writes for this company understands the terms and conditions hence you should not be worried because you will never see your work somewhere else...Read more
Rest assured that we will always be attentive to your needs and requirements. We belief in the phrase treat your neighbour as you would want them to treat you. We leave nothing to chance and always look forward to a good interaction with each other.. .Read more