Written Assignment 9: Chemical Bonding
Answer all assigned questions and problems, and show all work.
1. Use the second member of each group from Group IA to Group 7A to show that the number of valence electrons on an atom of the element is the same as its group number.
Li has 1 valence electron
Cl has 7 valence electrons
(Reference: Chang 9.2)
2. Explain the following: (3 points)
a. ionic bond=electrostatic force that holds ions together in an ionic compound.
b. nonpolar covalent bond=electrons are shared equally between the two atoms.
c. polar covalent bond= the electrons spend more time in the vicinity of one atom than the other.
3. Specify which compound in the following pairs of ionic compounds has the higher lattice energy: Explain your choice. (6 points)
a. KCl or MgO=MgO
b. LiF or LiBr=LiBr
c. Mg3N2 or NaCl=NaCl
(Reference: Chang 9.23)
4. Compare the properties of ionic compounds and covalent compounds. (6 points)
Electronegativity is a property of atoms, not bonds. An ionic bond is formed between elements with very different electronegativities, a covalent bond between atoms with similar electronegativities.
(Reference: Chang 9.32)
5. Four atoms are arbitrarily labeled D, E, F, and G. Their electronegativities are as follows: D = 3.8, E = 3.3, F = 2.8, and G = 1.3. If the atoms of these elements form the molecules DE, DG, EG, and DF, how would you arrange these molecules in order of increasing covalent bond character? (4 points)
(Reference: Chang 9.37)
6. Classify the following bonds as ionic, polar covalent, or nonpolar covalent, and
give your reasons: (4 points)
a. the CC bond in H3CCH3- Covalent
b. in KI the KI bond- Ionic
c. the NB bond in H3NBCl3– Polar Covalent
d. the CF bond in CF4– Polar Covalent
(Reference: Chang 9.39)
7. Write the correct Lewis structures for the following compounds (relative positions of atoms are shown correctly).(21 points)
a. H C N
b. H C C H
c. O Sn O
d. F F
e. H O F
g. F F
(Reference: Chang 9.47)
8. Classify the following substances as ionic compounds or covalent compounds containing discrete molecules: CH4, KF, CO, SiCl4, BaCl2.(5 points)
CH4=Covalent KF=Ionic CO=Covalent SiCl4=Covalent BaCl2=Ionic
(Reference: Chang 9.73)
9. Predict the geometries of the following species using the VSEPR method: (a) PCl3,
(b) CHCl3, (c) SiH4, (d)TeCl4. (12 points)
a. 1 lp AX3E trigonal pyramidal
b. 0 lp AX4 tetrahedral
c. 0 lp AX4 regular tetrahedral
d. 1 lp AX4E a see-saw structure
(Reference: Chang 10.7)
10. Predict the geometry of the following molecules using the VSEPR method: (a) HgBr2,
(b) N2O, (c) SCN– (arrangement of atoms is SCN). (9 points)
(Reference: Chang 10.11)
11. Describe the geometry around each of the three central atoms in the CH3COOH
1. Tetrahedral, four bonds, 109.5 degrees apart, sp3 hybridization
2. Trigonal planar, three bonds (one double, to O), sp2 hybridization
3. Bent (at about 109.4 with two lone pairs, sp3 hybridization
(Reference: Chang 10.13)
12. What is the relationship between the dipole momentand bond moment? How is it
possible to have bond moments and yet be nonpolar? (3 points)
1.The dipole moment can be thought of as the sum of the bond dipoles in a molecule. If you have a molecule that consists of only one bond, then the dipole moment will be the same as the bond dipole. Most molecules have a dipole moment owing to the uneven distribution of charges about the molecule.
2.Because those molecules are symmetrical. CO2 and CCl4 are examples. the dipole moments of each bond cancel.
(Reference: Chang 10.16)
13. Specify which hybrid orbitals are used by carbon atoms in the following species:
(b) CO2, (c) CN–. (6 points)
a. sp + p + p.
c. sp + p + p.
(Reference: Chang 10.37)
14. How many sigma bonds and pi bonds are there in each of the following
Molecules? (6 points)
a.4 sigma bonds
b.5 sigma bonds and 1 pi bond
c.7 sigma bonds and 3 pi bonds
(Reference: Chang 10.41)
15. Which of the following species is not likely to have a tetrahedral shape? (a) SiBr4 (b) NF4+, (c) SF4, (d) BeCl4–2, (e) BF4–, (f) AlCl4–(6 points)
(Reference: Chang 10.71)
We value our customers, and so ensure that our papers are 100 percent original. Our Team of professionals does not miss the mark; they ensure that step by step each paper is written uniquely. We never duplicate or work as we compare papers rest assured. We deliver our work a day before time to ensure that you don’t miss your deadlines. It is not only doing the work but delivering it at the right time. We capture the consequences of late remittances. .
We value customer satisfaction here at popularessaywriters.com and make sure that you get the best value for your Money. It happens that sometimes you can pay twice for your order or may want to cancel it, or you feel that it doesn’t meet your requirements; our money back guarantee will give you the opportunity to get back your money. We will also refund 100% of money paid double. In case your paper does not satisfy your requirements , we request that you notify us via writing within 2 days otherwise on the third day we will assume that you have been satisfied. Do all your correspondences through our email address email@example.com.Read more
At popularessaywriters.com, our professional writers know the consequence plagiarism does for our clients. We have updated software’s such as article checker and copyscape to check for originality of the custom papers before submission of the final paper to the you. Our guarantee to the customer is that we will write 100% original papers for them that are quality, timely and of low cost. We have experienced professional and competent PhD writers who will write quality custom papers for you..Read more
. At popularessaywriters.com, we are proud to provide top-quality Essay writing service to our esteemed customers. We are ready to take up that challenging academic assignment that is giving you sleepless nights and simplify it for you according to your desired requirements. We are willing to revise your paper if it does not meet your requirements. At popularessaywriters.com, we do not compromise with quality; thus, we offer unlimited free revisions until the customer is satisfied with their custom paper. Our unlimited free revision services are provided under the following terms:.. .Read more
Popularessawriters.com knows that client’s information is an essential tool for our company. It means that whatever the client requests from our service is kept strictly confidential. It means that whoever writes for this company understands the terms and conditions hence you should not be worried because you will never see your work somewhere else...Read more
Rest assured that we will always be attentive to your needs and requirements. We belief in the phrase treat your neighbour as you would want them to treat you. We leave nothing to chance and always look forward to a good interaction with each other.. .Read more